Japanese educational system provides children with certain quality education across the board and maintains high enrollment rates. Japanese students consistently rank highly among OECD students in terms of quality and performance in reading literacy, mathematics, and science.
Some special features of Japanese-Style Education are
- Holistic education approach with solid academic ability, rich humanity and a healthy body throughout the entire school life including not only lessons but also extracurricular activities.
- Quality teachers who are continuously upgrading their teaching skills through systematic teacher trainings and in-house trainings with lesson studies.
- Colleges of technology, KOSEN, develop engineers so they will have practical and sophisticated skills.
- Basic Education in Japan – 知 (chi)・徳 (toku)・体 (tai)This pamphlet introduces basic education in Japan with illustrations and pictures.
- Japanese-style Education from the viewpoint of teachersThis leaflet introduces the characteristics of Japanese-style education from the viewpoint of teachers.
- Education in Japan beyond the crisis of COVID-19 – Leave No One BehindMEXT has published a brochure providing an overview of MEXT’s initiatives against the COVID-19 pandemic in the field of education.
MEXT is taking whatever measures necessary to ensure children’s quality learning, leaving no one behind.
■ Holistic education approach with Solid academic ability, Rich humanity and a Healthy body
■ One day of elementary school students in Japan
Subtitles in multiple languages provided
The following links are the content gathering attention to explore the characteristics of Japanese education.
Note: All the ideas and content provided on this section are not supervised or edited by MEXT.
■ School lunch
Atsuko Quirk CafeteriaCulture.org